Beer supposedly fuels the nation, and there is nothing wrong with a good beer every now and again. But the question is, have you been drinking the wrong beers?
While foods that we eat are forced to include a list of ingredients, making it easier to identify what we should and shouldn’t eat, beer is not held to the same standards. For years, the alcohol industry has lobbied to keep their ingredients secret under the guise of protecting their recipes. As it turns out, they are more likely protecting the list of harmful ingredients packed into every bottle.
Here are some of the most harmful ingredients found in beer:
- GMO Corn Syrup
- GMO Corn
- High Fructose Corn Syrup
- Fish Bladder
- Propylene Glycol
- Monosodium Glutamate
- Natural Flavors
- GMO Sugars
- Caramel Coloring
- Insect-Based Dyes
- Newcastle Brown Ale
Newcastle has been found to contain class 3 and 4 caramel coloring which is actually made from ammonia – a known carcinogen. “The One and Only”, indeed – the “One and Only” beer with extra cancer-causing ingredients.
One of the most heavily advertised beers is full of GMO corn, and according to Greenpeace, experimental GMO rice.
- Corona Extra
Corona will make you think that their beer is a gateway to the beach, but in reality, it’s a gateway to GMO corn syrup and Propylene Glycol.
4. Miller Light
Another American beer that is packed with GMO corn and corn syrup.
- Michelob Ultra
Although not as popular, Michelob Ultra is just as bad as its more popular cousins, thanks to its use of GMO dextrose (GMO based sweetener).
Guinness is supposedly the standard for smoothness when it comes to dark beers, but its ingredients are a little disturbing, to say the least. For instance, it utilizes an ingredient called isinglass, which is made from fish bladders.
- Coors Light
Yet another American beer, popular because of its price, which uses GMO corn syrup.
- Pabst Blue Ribbon
PBR is full of GMO corn and corn syrup.
Healthy Beer Alternatives
It’s not all doom and gloom in the beer market. Fortunately, there are several great beers that are GMO-free, and maintain the quality and taste standards you are looking for.
- Organic Beers (Unpasteurized & Unfiltered)
- Wolaver’s – all beers
- Lamar Street – Whole Foods label (brewed by Goose Island)
- Bison – all beers
- Dogfish Head (organic when ingredients available)
- Fish Brewery Company – Fish Tale Ales
- Lakefront Brewery – Organic ESB
- Brooklyn – (organic when ingredients are available)
- Pinkus – all beers
- Samuel Smiths – Samuel Smiths Organic Ale
- Wychwood – Scarecrow Ale
Non-Organic Beers (Unpasteurized & Unfiltered)
- Sierra Nevada – all choices
- Duck Rabbit – Brown Ale, Porter, Amber Ale, Milk Stout
- Dogfish Head- 60 Minute IPA, Shelter Pale Ale, Chicory Stout
- Shipyard – Summer Brew
- Victory Brewery – Whirlwind
- North Coast – Blue Star
- Bridgeport – IPA (Bottle conditioned)
- Ayinger – all choices
- Royal Oak – Pale Ale
- Fraziskaner – Hefeweisse and Dunkel Weisse
- Weihenstephaner – Hefe Weissbier
- Maisel’s – Weisse
- Hoegaarden – Belgian White
- Amstel Light
- Duchy Original Ale Organic
- Mill Street Brewery
- Fuller’s Organic
- Nelson Organic Ale
- Natureland Organic