I hate to rain on anyone’s parade when it comes to dietary changes that they are proud of, but I feel compelled to debunk the myth that soy is a healthy choice. If you are consuming soy products including soy milk and you think you are doing good things for your body, please keep reading.
- Soybeans contain large quantities of natural toxins or “antinutrients”. Among them are potent enzyme inhibitors that block the action of trypsin and other enzymes needed for protein digestion.
- Soybeans contain haemagglutinin, a clot-promoting substance that causes red blood cells to clump together.
- Around 99% of soy is genetically modified, so it contains one of the highest pesticide contamination levels.
- Soybeans and soy products contain high levels of phytic acid, which inhibit the assimilation of calcium, magnesium, copper, iron and zinc.
- Soy foods contain high levels of aluminum, which is toxic to the body. It negatively affects the nervous system and the kidneys, and it has been linked to Alzheimer’s disease.
- Soy foods have a very high concentration of goitrogens that block the production of thyroid hormones. Soy consumption is associated with many different types of thyroid disorders such as hypothyroidism, goiter, and autoimmune thyroid disease.
- Soy contains plant estrogen called phytoestrogen, which disrupts endocrine function and can lead to infertility and breast cancer in women.
- Soy contains toxic isoflavones, genistein, and daidzein. They can stimulate the growth of existing breast cancer.
- Soy is horrible for babies! Mothers who are told to put their babies on a soy formula or choose to are putting their children at risk. According to Mary G. Enig, Ph.D., “the amount of phytoestrogens that are in a day’s worth of soy infant formula equals five birth control pills.” This puts your babies at risk for hormonal problems later in life.
Fermented soy, on the other hand, is a whole different story! Think Miso, tempeh, and soy sauce. Fermented soy has health promoting properties, and many of the harmful antinutrients are pushed out in the fermentation process. Like with everything consume in moderation!