Create Nontoxic, Shimmering Holiday Eye Shadow Using Clay, Arrowroot Powder and Food-Grade Ingredients
Using an eye shadow packed full of toxic ingredients can do terrible things to your skin and eyes, why not use something that is actually good for you? Some of the most common ingredients in most eye-shadows are considered toxic!
Shelf makeup is mostly overflowing with fake pigments and unsafe dyes. Just like with food we should not always go with what looks the best. In order to pick the healthiest products, you must read labels carefully. Some of the most common toxic ingredients are things like:
- Carbon Black
- Ethanolamine compounds
- BAK (Benzalkonium Chloride)
- Prime Yellow Carnauba Wax
- Retinyl Acetate or Palmitate
- Aluminum Powder
- Heavy Metals
- Titanium Dioxide
If you want to check the safety of a product before purchasing it I suggest using Safecosmetics.org, now if you don’t want to sort through all of the eye-shadows at the store there is always the option to make your own. If you decide to make your own you will be giving yourself the best natural skin care possible. It is also important to know that while something may be marketed as organic or all natural it still probably isn’t there is not anywhere near enough regulation on these products.
Here’s how to make your own nontoxic eye-shadow at home. This will take only a few ingredients and work wonders on your skin. Enjoy!
Nontoxic Eye-shadow Recipe:
Ingredients needed depending on the color you’re wanting to create:
- Red: Red clay
- Green: Spirulina
- Black: Activated charcoal
- Gold: Turmeric
- Brown: Cacao powder
- Orange: Beet power mixed with saffron
- Place the arrowroot powder in a small bowl
- Choose a color
- Add in the ingredient you chose based on the color you want to achieve
- Only add in a small amount at first and add more for darker pigments
- Once you have the desired color add the shea butter into the mixture
- Blend this gently using the back of a spoon
This should create a smooth creamy powder that will stay on and moisturize when in use. Make sure your skin is clean before applying and….. Have FUN!