11 of The Worst Habits That Damage The Kidneys
The kidneys are extremely important organs, they deal with waste and toxins in the body. We have to do our best to ensure our kidneys are as healthy as they can be!
For those who are not completely familiar, our kidneys play a big role when it comes to the functioning of our bodies. They are two bean-shaped organs that filter our blood and produce urine.
- Bad breath
- A change in urine
- High blood pressure
- Sleep issues
- Loss of appetite
- Swelling in the feet or ankles
If you are dealing with these signs please do not hesitate to see a doctor as your kidneys are likely damaged. You can damage your kidneys in a number of different ways. Here are the things you should not be doing if you want your kidneys working properly.
Most common kidney damaging habits:
- Drinking too much alcohol- This is stressful to your kidneys as well as your liver. Too much alcohol will make your uric acid pile up in the renal tubules and cause obstructions. This can lead to kidney failure.
- Taking Analgesics- Lots of people take painkillers for many different issues these put pressure on our kidneys. If you take these all the time they can be a big problem, this can cause acute kidney injuries.
- Not getting enough sleep- Our bodies need six to eight hours of sleep a night. If we do not get enough sleep we will have a multitude of health issues. Bad sleeping habits can lead to clogged arteries as well as hypertension. This can impact your kidneys in a major way.
- Eating too much salt- If we eat too much salt our kidneys will be forced to work more and keep the bodies excess water. Water retention like this will cause kidney disease.
- Eating too much protein- If you eat too much protein your kidneys will not be able to eliminate the excess nitrogen in the body. Too much protein raises the metabolic kidney load. You should always limit eating red meats or stop eating them altogether.
- Smoking cigarettes- This has been linked with kidney issues and is the number one reason for renal issues.
- Delaying urination- Do not hold your pee, if you have to go do not make yourself wait. This will allow the bacteria to multiply and cause lots of issues including UTIs.
- Not drinking enough water- I cannot stress how important getting enough water is for your body. If you do not get enough water your blood will become thicker and this will damage your kidneys. They will no longer be able to deal with the removal of toxins and you will end up dealing with a major health issue.
- Not exercising- Exercising is a great way to protect your kidneys. If you aren’t exercising at least a little, you should start.
- Not treating common infections properly- We all tend to ignore some of the more common illness symptoms as long as we can. This pushes our bodies to near exhaustion and can cause kidney damage among other issues.
- Consuming too much caffeine- Too much caffeine will cause high blood pressure and overtime strain your kidneys.
Your kidneys are something you cannot live without. You should do your best to maintain their health as well as the health of the rest of your body. For more information on how to do a kidney cleanse please take the time to watch the video below.