HealthHome

In the past centuries we have seen the epidemia that can be caused by the simple transfer of some nasty diseases. These transfers were predominantly made by some kind of bug or animal, and it can still happen today. In fact if you’ve seen this bug around you, go to the doctor!

You might have heard of a bug that goes by the name of the kissing bug; it’s dangerous, deadly, and disgusting. The bug itself presents no harm, but the parasites that it carries in its feces. The kissing bugs carry the Chagas Disease. The disease is an inflammatory and infectious disease caused by a parasite found in the feces of kissing bugs. It is very common in South Africa, however there are over 200,000 cases per year in the United States.

Anybody can be infected by the disease, but is seen most often in children. The treatment of the disease consists of killing the parasite in acute infection and managing signs and symptoms in later stages. It brings about a very sudden, yet brief illness. Symptoms of the disease include:

  • ever
  • General ill feeling
  • Swelling of an eye if the bite is near the eye
  • Swollen red area at site of the insect bite
  • Constipation
  • Digestive problems
  • Heart failure
  • Pain in the abdomen
  • Pounding or raging heart
  • Swallowing difficulties

Most doctors and physicians should be able to diagnose the disease on the spot. They will additionally treat you based on diagnosis, however there are ways to prevent getting it. First thing is to never get near a kissing bug or touch it with your bare skin. If you must dispose of one put it in a plastic bag and wear gloves when doing so.