Dog food is something we do not pay enough attention to. Just because the puppy on the package looks cute and happy and is surrounded by pictures of fresh meat and veggies doesn’t always mean it has been properly inspected or is safe.
Dogs live very short lives in comparison to ours and we should do whatever we can to ensure their lives are fantastic and lived out to the fullest. A Washington resident was doing just that for her dogs or so she thought. She actually had one of her dogs, a pug pass away because of the dog food she had fed him. All four of her dogs were victims in this as they became violently sick after ingesting a can of wet dog food.
This incident has rightfully lead to a very extensive investigation by the company that produced the dog food She had used, Evanger, an Illinois-based producer that is behind the “Hunk of Beef Au Jus” brand. While she had braced herself for the answers she was going to get from this investigation She never expected this. This wet dog food that was designed to nourish beloved family pets contained something called pentobarbital. For those who do not know pentobarbital is a drug used to euthanize animals of all kinds.
This is what she had to say describing the events that occurred after her pets consumed this food:
“I fed them one can and within 15 minutes, they were acting drunk, walking around, they couldn’t… they were falling over. So, I grabbed them all and I took them to the emergency vet and when I got them there when they were limp. They weren’t moving or anything.”
This is a tragedy no one should have to endure. For most people, our pets are big parts of our family and in some cases are considered our children. Talula the pug did not make it through the night. A massive recall was issued by the company, this being the very first recall issued in 82 whole years. This recall is considered applicable to all Hunk of Beef products dated during the same week as the poisoned can.
There are 15 states being affected by this as follows:
- New York
- South Carolina
- Mary Land
The lot numbers believed to be affected (contaminated) are as follows:
All tainted products are suspected to have been manufactured in June of 2016. If you would like a little more information on this recall I suggest watching the video below. Please be sure to avoid this brand until the issue is resolved. Our dogs are very important if we are the ones feeding them we need to be feeding them something safe and healthy.
This company is doing the right thing by putting this voluntary recall out there and making things right with the owners of these dogs. They have fully-funded the vet bills and are making a donation to the local shelter in Talula’s honor. Please monitor your animals when something like this is going on. Other brands can have the same thing happen. We must be careful when we live in a overprocessed world.