Homemade Cauliflower Breadstick Recipe
As of late there has been a shift in the world of pizza. With the introduction of cauliflower crust pizza people have been taking a low carb, gluten free approach to enjoying their favorite foods. Well this recipe is an addition of the new and improved way of eating a delicious pizza.
I know a lot of people were speculating about just how good this healthy alternative is. The truth of the matter is that this alternative is utterly delicious! Introducing the cauliflower “breadsticks”. Taking the same approach to breadsticks, as many have done with the pizza, you can ensure a healthy alternative for those breadsticks you have always enjoyed.
If this introduction has still left you with some questions I suggest you put those feelings into making your own cauliflower sticks. I guarantee the results will be fantastic, and much more than you anticipated.
Use these ingredients and follow these directions to ensure you make the best cauliflower “breadsticks” possible!
– ½ teaspoon of Italian Seasoning
– 1 teaspoon of dried basil
– 1 egg that has been slightly beaten
– Marinara sauce for dipping
– 4 cups of cauliflower “rice”, as explained in the directions below
– 2 cups of Mozzarella cheese that has been shredded and divided
– 1 teaspoon of dried oregano
– ¼ teaspoon of salt
- You must first turn 1 head of cauliflower into a rice texture. Wash and clean the cauliflower and cut it into chunks. Be sure to remove the core of the cauliflower first. Use a food processor and pulse it until the cauliflower has a “rice” consistency. The average cauliflower head can produce 4 cups of cauliflower “rice”. This is the most important step in this recipe.
- Using a large saucepan, heat 1 inch of water until it boils. Add the cauliflower rice, cover the lid and allow it to steam for at least 4 or 5 minutes.
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees F.
- Use a mesh strainer to drain the cauliflower. Allow it to cool for a few minutes. Then you must place the “rice” into a dish towel and squeeze as hard as you can to remove any leftover water. This is the second most important step in the process.
- Then you must dump it into a large bowl. Add 1 cup of mozzarella to the cauliflower rice. Then add you egg, then the oregano and lastly the ¼ teaspoon of salt.
- Stir this mixture very well.
- Then line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper and spray it with cooking spray. Spoon the cauliflower “rice” onto the pan and use your hands to form it into an 8 ½ x 11-inch rectangle.
- Place it in the oven for 35-40 minutes, or as long as it takes for the crust is golden brown and firm.
Remove the crust from the oven and allow it to cool. Then add the remaining cup of mozzarella and the ½ teaspoon of Italian seasoning.
- Then place the pan back in the oven for 7-10 minutes, or as long as it takes for the cheese to melt.
- The last step is cutting the cauliflower crust into “breadsticks”. Then serve them with marinara sauce for your dipping pleasure.
Using this recipe will guarantee you a healthy and tasty snack! Try something new for once; who knows you may just like it.