Every parent wants to do well by their child, giving them every opportunity to succeed in life. Careful attention to their diets allows us to ensure that our children are happy and healthy. We choose foods that will promote their physical health, protect their teeth and support them as they continue to grow and develop. It shouldn’t, then, come as a surprise that the right foods can also help to encourage your child’s mental development!
Karlene Karst, RD, a dietitian and author of ‘The Full-Fat Solution’ explained, “Your child’s brain and nervous system is in a rapid state of growth and development until age five. You want to turbo-boost kids’ brain power with a diet of fun, simple, yet delicious foods that incorporate protein and omega-3s – the building blocks for smart and healthy brains.”
The following 12 foods will help to boost your child’s mind while tasting great!
- Fish: Extremely high in Omega 3 fatty acids, fish help to prevent memory loss and declining mental skills.
- Oatmeal: Oats have the ability to keep the arteries clear by removing the bad cholesterol in your child’s blood stream. This will, in turn, improve their memory!
- Olive Oil: High in monounsaturated fatty acids, cooking with olive oil will improve brain development.
- Honey: The polyphenol properties of honey work to fight oxidative stress on the brain improve memory deficits, improve concentration and boost memory.
- Walnuts: A high source of Omega 3 and Vitamin E, walnuts also produce DHA, an essential component of the neurological system.
- Almonds: Loaded with fatty acids and protein, almonds help to improve cognitive functions and repair damaged brain cells.
- Eggs: The yolk in eggs help to form a neurotransmitter in the brain called acetylcholine. This neurotransmitter works to improve your child’s memory and promote communication between the cells of the brain.
- Turmeric: Curcumin, a compound in turmeric, has been found to boost brain cell growth, improve brain function and lower the risk of Alzheimer’s and stroke throughout the course of your child’s life.
- Avocados: Avocados are packed with healthy fats, which are necessary for the development of your child’s brain.
- Yogurt: The good fats in yogurt are beneficial in the development of your child’s brain, while the probiotics it contains have been found to improve an individual’s mood.
- Apples: Containing an antioxidant called quercetin, apples work to boost your child’s mental skills and help them to remain focused throughout the day.
- Green Leafy Vegetables: Packed with powerful antioxidants, vegetables like spinach and kale will protect the brain from free radicals, prevent a decline in neurological functions and improve cognitive functioning.