Herbs can be used for a variety of different things; they can be used for medicine, cooking, and health issues. An herb is a plant that is used for its culinary, medicinal, or fragrant properties. It is such a diverse group of plants that is very difficult to separate. Some disguise themselves as wildflowers, and some are weeds that we try to get rid of!
Herbs can usually be purchased at a local supermarket, but can sometimes be pricey. You can grow them seasonally, but some of them can be grown year round! Simply place these herbs in a glass of water and in some sunlight and they will grow away! You can even choose containers that are decorative! Mason jars, vases, or glass bottles. Be sure to keep them in a container that isn’t very tight fitting or narrow. You can stimulate rooting by placing willow branches in warm water. Let the branches soak overnight and use them as a hormone mixture.
10 Herbs that can grow year round in water:
- Rosemary – Keep this herb in a sunny place and prune them often to keep them in tip top condition.
- Lemongrass – Make sure it has plenty of stem and that the base is intact. Trim the top and place in a couple inches of water. It will even produce new roots.
- Mint – Start the growing with seeds, not cuttings. Place them in a small pot full of potting soil. Make sure it is in a spot where it gets a little bit of light per day.
- Parsley – This one does not require light or maintenance. Start by placing seeds in inch of moist soil.
- Oregano – Although the easiest to grow, it requires 6-8 hours of sunlight per day.
- Basil – This herb is one of the most difficult to grow. The best breeds to grow inside are the Spicy Globe or African Blue.
- Thyme – It also requires 6-8 hours of sunlight, but requires little maintenance.
- Vietnamese Coriander – This is the seed of the cilantro herb. It is easier to grow, and is very reliable.
- Chives – This one requires little light and they are very bountiful. Pull some roots and plant them in a small pot that is halfway full of soil.
- Tarragon – Place herb under warm and bright light. This herb can be used for several different cooking methods.